The time is now. My eggs have been retrieved and now I’m waiting.
The whole process so far has been exciting, exhausting and time consuming. As soon as we decided to do IVF, I decided to do everything in my power to make it work. That way, I’d know that I’d tried everything.
I’ve been exercising a lot. I’ve been going to bootcamp twice a week and jogging or swimming on the other days. I’ve changed my diet. I’ve cut down on wheat, dairy, soy and sugar and I’ve cut out alcohol and caffeine all together. I’ve been going to acupuncture/Cranial Sacral therapy and reflexology. I feel good, I’ve lost weight and if nothing else, it’s given me a sense of control over this whole crazy situation.
The weeks building up to the retrieval were stressful. They found a cyst and almost cancelled the cycle. They decided after all to go ahead with it. My estrogen was sky-rocketing but my follicles were growing slowly. We were really going day by day and altering the doses of my meds. The only way for me to get through it was step by step. I was far from thinking about embryos and tests and transfers, I just had to focus on follicles and getting to the retrieval.
We got there! The retrieval was on Saturday (a day later than originally scheduled). It was SO painful. They had to move around my ovaries to get to the eggs. Ouch. The team in the OR were great though and hubby was really supportive. We were able to retrieve 14 eggs.
The numbers game has been the hardest part. We started with 14 eggs. From the 14 eggs, 9 were fertilized. I thought this number was pretty good and I started to relax. The next day I got the call that 6 embryos had survived, 3 were thriving and three were a little behind.
Today the doctor called me directly (never a good sign). Only two embryos have survived and now I had decisions to make.
1. We send the two embryos for genetic testing (sending the embryos for testing was the original plan). Sending only two is very risky because they don’t all survive the process. It’s also very expensive for just two embryos.
2. We wait until day 5 to see if the other embryos grow, freeze them all and transfer at a later date.
3. We transfer the two survivors on day 5 and skip the genetic testing.
After a good cry, I called my husband and we made our decision. We’re going with option 3. There are risks involved with all the options! I’m feeling ok about skipping the testing. The fact that so many embryos didn’t survive is maybe the answer we needed. Maybe we just needed some good strong embryos.
I have another check up/blood and ultrasound tomorrow and if those little guys survive, we’ll be doing the transfer on Thursday.
One step at a time…